Monday, January 7, 2008

Thanks Mom


My mother died this past Saturday night. She was 89 years old. The end, mercifully, was quick and peaceful. As I write this, Mary and I are on a plane from Guatemala to Memphis to arrange her funeral.
I last saw Mom two weeks ago-just a few days before Christmas. There was no sign that she knew who I was but I told her how much I loved her and how much she meant to me and all her extended family....and I told her goodbye. I had a feeling that I would not see her again in this life. As I left that day she blew me a kiss.
She was a strong, independent woman who lived by herself for as long as she could after my Dad died 23 years ago and before her mind was slowly stolen from her. As a mother she was never critical, she was always encouraging and she was never intrusive. If she had a fault it was that she was blind to my faults.
Years ago she told me that I should follow my dream, go sailing with Mary, and enjoy our time together...time that she and Dad were robbed of. We did. We will.
Thanks Mom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My Mother-in-Law
Judy Davidson-If someone asked me to describe Judy in one word I would say Florida. She was born in Tampa, FL. She was sunshine most of the time. She had her bleak moments but,just like a storm, the rain made everything more beautiful afterwards. She was the place where everyone daydreams to be during stressfull times-a get-away where one can relax and simply soak in God's creation. She was every age from 1-100. She could talk about fun things to the kids or have a serious talk with the adults. She surrounded herself with the ebb and flow of life just as Florida is surrounded by the ocean. She was natural. She was and forever will be sunshine to me-a light in my life. And for having the privledge of being a part of her life, I will be forever grateful. I love you, Judy. Rest in peace for there is no doubt in my mind that you are at home-a child among all of His children in His glorious kingdom.
I will miss you so much,
With love,
Mary

joycepinnix said...

Hi Orin and Mary,

Orin I was sorry to hear that you lost your Mother. Based on Mary's comments she must have been a beautiful lady in so many ways.

Joyce let me know about your blog and I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Look forward to following you on your journey.

Happy New Year!